Friday, February 18, 2011

2-16 #vocare

I recently decided to begin coordinating a weekly tweetchat that focuses on issues of vocation and calling. This week was the first! These chats will happen every Tuesday at 9p EST and last for 1 hour. You can join for part or all of the conversation by searching for #vocare on twitter. When you post a reply simply add #vocare to your post. On Wednesdays I will recapture the discussion on this blog.


 Tiffanie Shanks 
Q1: How has vocation impacted your life? 

 David Allen 

@ I have no clue. 

 Alison Carmack 
Q1: If you would def. vocation as work, well, went to work to earn a living. Then I seminary geared my work towards my call. 
 Lisa Streight
#vocare Q1: My current vocation with a faith based organization brought faith back into my life...I had lost faith prior to beginning this work

 Tiffanie Shanks 
Q2: What is your vocation/calling? 

 Alison Carmack 
Q2. My calling is to work with children & adults. 1st w/underprivileged children, matriculated to teaching all ages in the church. 

 Lisa Streight 
 Q2: Not sure I would call it a "calling" but I've always seemed to be drawn to creative work, marketing, and customer service.

 Tiffanie Shanks 
My calling/vocation is to nurture a call in young people. It took me 10 years to come up with a simple way to state that. 

 Tiffanie Shanks 
Q3: What is the definition of vocation? 
 Alison Carmack 
Q3. I'd define vocation as work, what you do to earn a living.

 Tiffanie Shanks 
society has created a view of vocation that is just a job but I'm beginning to think more like this  short video

 David Allen 

@ The intersection of your talents and passion 

 Tiffanie Shanks
@ interesting to Q3... I've been challenged recently to look at vocation from it's root word in Latin which means to call 

 Lisa Streight 
 My vocation is different than my passion

 Tiffanie Shanks 

@ can you explain a little? is it your vocation thats different or your job?

 Lisa Streight 
 You may have to explain the difference to me

 Tiffanie Shanks 
RT @: For me a call is what you are compelled to do, if you don't do it, you hunger for it. // I like the using "hunger"

 Tiffanie Shanks 
Vocare is the root word in Latin for vocation  = to call... @

 Tiffanie Shanks
@ so is your calling different than your passion? or your job different? thats what I meant by that question

 Lisa Streight 
 Then my job may be different than my call. My passion is music, theater, film, creative arts.

 Lisa Streight 
 Although I get to manage and nurture those creative endeavors (passions) in others in my current job

 Tiffanie Shanks 
did anyone check out that quick vid? 

 Alison Carmack 

@ Yes a good vid. All are called, @ has been emphasizing that this past year (and I love it!). So vocation is the same? 

 Lisa Streight 
 Good video, very creative. Vocation is gifts, passion, talents used to serve God

 Tiffanie Shanks 

@ yes... in other words... calling 

 Tiffanie Shanks 
I first saw that video at a Young Clergy Recruitment Training in Nashville. it challenged me

 Lisa Streight 
 @ @ how did you come to know your call?

 Alison Carmack 

@ Ha ha! That could take paragraphs. Will 'splain as soon as I get the little man to bed. BRB. 

 Tiffanie Shanks 

@ in a vision when I was 12. I dnt understand much, ive nevr forgotten it & every so often something happens reveals more

 Lisa Streight 
 @ A vision, eh?Exciting. Wonder if most have something as specific as a vision or just gravitate towards an intense interest

 Tiffanie Shanks 

@ idk... thoughts ? I've always been an oddball, normal is foreign to me.

 Lisa Streight 
 so if my gift is seeing connections everywhere, talent is managing people and embracing creativity, passion is creative art, am I good?

 Alison Carmack 
I think some of your calling fulfills passions but I am passionate about Siamese cats & I do not feel they are my calling per say.

 Alison Carmack 

@ Does it fulfill you? 

 Tiffanie Shanks 
@ agreed. @ I'm not sure that anyone would know the answer to that other than you. 

 Alison Carmack 

@ Agreed on which point? ;-) 

 Tiffanie Shanks 
@ that calling fulfills passions but that passions do not = calling

 Lisa Streight 
@  Tough question. Some days very much so. Many variables. Often long for something more and wonder if it's me or the job

 Alison Carmack 
@ Ok thanks for the clarification. I think passions can be "lighter" than voc/calling (but a job utilizing them is great) 

 Tiffanie Shanks 
@ I think the longing for something more is what detracts from the fulfillment of call most. 

 Alison Carmack 
@ What would you do/what would it be if you could find that "something more"? 

 Tiffanie Shanks
@ I think there is more in store for me but I'm satisfied where I am now, doing what I'm doing. 

 Alison Carmack 
A tweet from my buddy (and fellow person passionate about Siamese) @: @ IMHO, Work + Vocation = Flow. 

 Lisa Streight 
 You both seem so secure in your vocational choices. I'm impressed.

 Tiffanie Shanks 
@ soon enough I'll be completely confused again... you just caught me in a mountain top moment instead of a valley 

 Lisa Streight 
 @ Would like to know that I've actually changed a life for the better. Feel far removed from witnessing meaningful change.

 Lisa Streight 


 Alison Carmack 

@ I only just got truly here Jan 10th. Have sloooooowly been working my way here for YEARS.  It also ends up evolving.

 Alison Carmack 

@ It's hard when you aren't in 1 of the "glamour" positions touching ppl daily/weekly, but we are all important cogs 

 Lisa Streight 

@ What was significant about Jan 10th? 

 Alison Carmack 

@ Started as DCE in new job. Was trying to work outside church, changed my mind (Deacon ords), knew I wanted to teach. 

 Alison Carmack 

@ Had seminary but no church exp. Was also new to. Worked hard on connections & was Youth Dir (not ideal) for a year. 

 Lisa Streight 

@ And so now you are teaching with the UMC? 

 Tiffanie Shanks 
 you can keep talking but I'm signing out. We'll talk next week about mentorship! same time... same #

 Lisa Streight 

@ Youth director is a tough job...not because of the youth but the workload and pressure 

 Lisa Streight 
 Thanks this was interesting and fun. I'd do it again in a minute (or next Tuesday at 9pm)

 Alison Carmack
@ Well, just in a local church. But to all ages, I realized after seminary I love teaching teachers to teach. Love adults. 

 Alison Carmack 

@ And the straight on energy-filled emotional rollercoaster hands on necessary too. Fulfilling but exhausting! 

 Alison Carmack 

@ You meet the neatest people through these kinda chats.

No comments:

Post a Comment