Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2-22 #vocare

This week's chat was on the importance of mentorship. Here is a video from WhatYourCalling.org on "The Theory of Multiple Mentors". As someone who has many mentors that have guided me through life in many different ways and many different times, I was really excited to engage other perspectives regarding mentorship. I hope you enjoy(ed) the conversation as much as I did!
...any ideas for next week's topic, leave a comment...


Tiffanie Shanks
Welcome Introduce yourselves ...

Lisa Streight
Ready for our discussion on mentors tonight

Alison Carmack
Hello peeps.

David Allen
@ @ hey hey hey

Lisa Streight
Tiffanie Shanks
This weeks conversation is on mentorship... Q1 do you have a mentor and what role did they play in discerning your call?

Lisa Streight
I have had several mentors...each at different times of my life

Alison Carmack
I assume you aren't referring to mentors assigned by ? I have a great one, but yes, other ppl have been mentors too.

Tiffanie Shanks
I've had a couple mentors and now that I've experienced the value I feel as though without a mentor I'm at a loss

David Allen
Having a mentor, to me, if kind of like having someone in your life who can offer some hindsight from their experiences to guide you

Alison Carmack
My certified candidacy meeting is tomorrow and one of the questions to answer is "Your support system". Mentors are key there .

April Casperson
Mentors modeled leadership, and mentors also invited me into spaces so I could "try on" vocations.

Tiffanie Shanks
@ Were there particular situations that allowed for more discernment than others when trying them on?

April Casperson
@ It was mainly watching mentors/people who seemed "solid" and not grasping for vocation - their authenticity inspired me.

April Casperson
@ and then it was about following my own quiet voice, guided by God. Stopped doing what I thought would please other people

Tiffanie Shanks
@ So authenticity from mentor and mentee is key... I like that! Thoughts from the community?

David Allen
I think, eventually, we end up with multiple mentors and not just one or two. The more the merrier?

Tiffanie Shanks
@ Hindsight is 20/20

David Allen
@ Is it? I mean can we absolutely know every x, y, and z that was effected by a decision?

David Allen
@ - I thought learning finance was a big waste of time 3 years ago, but 1 year ago, I realized it was a huge asset.

Tiffanie Shanks
@ With enough time and faith I think we can find value in everything ... Maybe not 20/20

Peggys Daughter
some of my best mentors have been people I never met

Tiffanie Shanks
@ Really? That's intriguing... Example?

Peggys Daughter
authors mostly, teachers. Relational mentors haven't happened

Alison Carmack
@ @ With social media, I think we will experience this more and more.

Peggys Daughter
does a mentor relationship need to be "officially" declared? & what is the diff between mentor and discipleship

Alison Carmack
I often look back & realize someone was a mentor later. Going back to that hindsight thing. I see the value of what they taught me.

Tiffanie Shanks
@ @ but without some kind of ongoing relationship are they actually mentors? I can understand with social media

Peggys Daughter
I've been suspicious of someone who offers themselves as mentor or coach. Feels arrogant

David Allen
Ahhh justification

Alison Carmack
@ None of my mentors (except the one assigned by the) offered themselves as such, they are ppl I count as friend 1st.

Peggys Daughter
RT @ @ GREAT!! That's better than institutionalized programs.

David Allen
Which takes us back to the discussion of if social media can replace face to face?

Tiffanie Shanks
@ I don't think it replaces face to face in all relationships. SM only relationships are limited

Alison Carmack
@ I think social media and face to face enhance one another. Have met many neat ppl on Twitter, considering.

Tiffanie Shanks

Alison Carmack
@ Have used social media since '96 & made many great friends, but when I've been able to meet them in person it's wonderful

Tiffanie Shanks
@ I think mentorship is more about growing together than discipleship and doesn't need to be named

Tiffanie Shanks
I've recently asked some people to be my mentor. I think it helps when they know how you see the relationship

Peggys Daughter
@ . Best approach I think

Alison Carmack
@ Yes I agree! I look back now and see them as mentors, but didn't see our relationship that way 1st. Friendship came 1st

Peggys Daughter
I asked someone to disciple me. A spiritual mentor I guess

Alison Carmack
@ I think can ask for either/or depending on what you need. Mentor is more vocation, discipleship is more spiritual walk.

Tiffanie Shanks
Were there any thoughts on the authenticity comment? just curious

Alison Carmack
@ I think authenticity is necessary in both mentoring and discipleship, authenticity=honesty w/self & mentor

Tiffanie Shanks
@ Difference between that and integrity?

Alison Carmack
@ Integrity is being honest in what do/say, authenticity is openness to seek deeper for it within & change if needed.

Alison Carmack
It's been fun! Keep me in your prayers for tomorrow & my certified candidacy mtg? Much appreciated :-)

Tiffanie Shanks
@ Will do! I like the distinction you made too :-) ... Now until next week

Tiffanie Shanks
This has again been great! the iPod I'm using is running out of battery though Thanks all and check the blog for a recap tomorrow:-)


No comments:

Post a Comment